If you are considering whether it is cheaper to buy your own horse box or hire one then this blog post hopefully will help you decide……..
3 Reasons why it may actually save money by hiring a horse box or trailer instead of buying your own.
REASON #1 – Cost to Buy!
When you are looking for a trailer or lorry, you can expect to pay anything from £500 to several thousand pounds for a trailer or for a Lorry be it 7.5 tonne or 3.5 tonne box you could spend £1000 to hundreds of thousands.
And with all things you do get what you pay for.
So if you go for an older cheaper box, remember to budget for repairs and upkeep.
7.5 tonne lorry’s you can often get cheaper than 3.5 tonnes due to the driving licence requirements, that mean drivers who passed their driving test for a car after1 January 1997 have to take a C1 test in order to drive a 7.5-tonne horsebox, or any vehicle weighing in excess of 3.5 tonnes.
Therefore 3.5 tonne horseboxes do tend hold their value.
But they are not one size fits all!!! do ensure that you can actually put your horse in it and that your horse is not too heavy!
Some have very restricted payloads and if you exceed this not only could you face a hefty fine, you are compromising your safety and the safety of your horse!
- So even if you invest in a £5,000 on a cheap secondhand box for example, without the additional costs of running, (mot, tax etc) you could hire our modern, luxurious box 62.5 times in the week at £80 per day, 45 times on the weekend at £110 per day, or for 20 full weekends at £240.
- If you bought a trailer for £1000, (remember you need to service it regularly at a cost) but you could hire our trailer 25 times at £40 per day.
- Will you really be using it enough to get your money’s worth?
And that is just on the purchase price….. Then there is
REASON #2 – Running Costs, and Upkeep!
Owning your own lorry or trailer means that you are responsible for everything so factor into your budget:
- Wear and tear,
- Storage fees (if you have nowhere to keep it),
- MOT / Servicing / Plating fees,
- Breakdown & Recovery
- and more
If you add all this up you could expect annual running costs to be around £3000 per year at least, for a Horsebox or Lorry, it would be cheaper for a trailer, but servicing, new brakes new floor, electrics etc. need to be considered.
A Trailer service could cost between £50 & £150 per year. (And remember if your trailer is not road worthy your insurance company may not pay out in the event of an accident)
- So if it costs £3000 per year to run your box, you could hire ours another 37 times!
- If your trailer costs £120 per year you could hire ours another 3 times.
(If you want more information VOSA have produced a guide for horse box and trailer owners here.)
- Am I ready for owning my own?
- Can I afford to fix it if it goes wrong?
- Can I afford to keep it nice and run it?
REASON #3 – Peace of Mind
What is knowing your horse is being transported in a safe well serviced vehicle worth?
Going along the road worrying if the floor is sound, If you forgot to check something?
Worrying that you may breakdown because you didn’t get in the service or cover?
For us, our vehicles are our livelihood we stake our reputation on their cleanliness and safety.
We are horse owners and understand that your horse is more than just a horse…… he is your best friend, your partner in crime and you want the best for him always.
As licensed horse transporters we travel the length and breadth of the UK transporting horses on a regular basis and are experts in making sure that journeys are safe and stress free!
And we include that in our hire vehicles, safety checks and package prices.
What is that worth to you?
We hope you found this post useful and wish you safe travelling with your horse or pony.
If you would like to learn more about: Horse Trailer or Self Drive Horse Box Hire Packages and Prices.